The foci of Dr. Hsiao’s research interests have been in the areas of special education, including students with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), learning disabilities, and emotional and behavioral disorders. Her recent research focuses on families of children with disabilities, evidence-based strategies for teaching students with ASD, culturally responsive teaching preparation and practices in special education, and inclusive practices in general education classrooms.
Dr. Hsiao teaches special education endorsement courses and the Teaching in Inclusive Classrooms class for preparing both special education and general education teachers to work with students with disabilities. She previously taught a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses related to parental involvement, behavior management, and multicultural issues in special education.
- Hsiao, Y.-J., Higgins, K., & Diamond, L. L. (2018). Parent empowerment: Respecting their voices. TEACHING Exceptional Children, 51, 43-53. doi: 10.1177/0040059918790240
- Hsiao, Y.-J. (2018). Autism spectrum disorders: Family demographics, parental stress, and family quality of life. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities, 15, 70-79. doi: 10.1111/jppi.12232
- Hsiao, Y.-J. (2018). Parental stress in families of children with disabilities. Intervention in School and Clinic, 53, 201-205. doi: 10.1177/1053451217712956
- Hsiao, Y.-J., Higgins, K., Pierce, T., Whitby, P. J. S., & Tandy, R. D. (2017). Parental stress, family quality of life, and family-teacher partnerships: Families of children with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 70, 152-162. doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2017.08.013
- Barrio, B. L., Miller, D., Hsiao, Y.-J., Dunn, M., Petersen, S., Hollingshead, A., & Banks, S. (2017). Designing culturally responsive and relevant individualized educational programs. Intervention in School and Clinic, 53, 114-119. doi.org/10.1177/1053451217693364
- Hsiao, Y.-J. (2016). Perceptions of parents of children with autism spectrum disorders towards their partnerships with teachers. Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals, Spring/Summer, 64-74.
- Dunn, M. W., Barrio, B. L., & Hsiao, Y.-J. (2016). Do iPad applications help students with developmental disabilities improve life-readiness skills? Canadian Journal of Action Research,17(1), 51-75.
- Hsiao, Y.-J. (2016). Pathways to mental health-related quality of life for parents of children with autism spectrum disorder: Roles of parental stress, children’s performance, medical support, and neighbor support. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 23, 122-130. doi:10.10.16/j.rasd.2015.10.008
- Hsiao, Y.-J. (2015). The culturally responsive teacher preparedness scale: An exploratory study. Contemporary Issues in Education Research, 8, 241-250. doi:10.19030/cier.v8i4.9432
- Morgan, J. J., Hsiao, Y.-J., Brown, N. B., Lyons, C., & Dobbins, N. (2015). An observation tool for monitoring social skill implementation in contextually-relevant environments. Intervention in School and Clinic, 51, 3-11. doi:10.1177/1053451215577474
- Morgan, J. J., Dobbins, N., Hsiao, Y.-J., Brown, N. B., & Higgins, K. (2015). Comparing student and teachers perceptions of the importance of social skills in a self-contained setting. Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals, Spring/Summer, 99-120.
- Hsiao, Y.-J., & Higgins, K. (2014). Five ways to reduce stress for parents of students with learning disabilities. LD Forum, December, 2-5.
- Yang, S.-L., Hsiao, Y.-J.*, & Hsiao, H.-C. (2014). Culturally responsive teaching with new Taiwanese children: Interviews with class teachers in elementary schools. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 34, 288-304. doi:10.1080/02188791.2013.853647 (* Corresponding author)
- Morgan, J. J., Brown, N. B., Hsiao, Y.-J., Howerter, C., Juniel, P., Sedano, L., & Castillo, W. L. (2014). Unwrapping academic standards to increase the achievement of students with disabilities. Intervention in School and Clinic, 49, 131-141. doi:10.1177/1053451213496156
- Hsiao, Y.-J. (2011). Educating students with learning disabilities in Taiwan. Intervention in School and Clinic, 47, 50-55. doi: 10.1177/1053451211406540
- Ph.D. Special Education, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2013.
- M.A. Special Education, Arizona State University, 2008.
- B.Ed. Special Education, National Taichung Teachers College, Taiwan, 2005.