Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University
College of Education

Emergency Certificate FAQs

Emergency Certificate FAQs


What is the emergency certificate?

The emergency certificate is a permit that the Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) adopted as tool to assist pre-service teachers who were impacted by COVID-19 and not able to complete the assessments required for the residency certificate.

How do I qualify for the emergency certificate?

Complete all requirements of WSU’s teacher education program with the exception of content (WEST-E/NES) exams and edTPA.

How do I request the emergency certificate?

You will need to complete the request that can be found on the College of Education’s website,

How will I know if my request is approved?

You will receive an email from COE Certification telling you what your next steps are.

Do I have to have my bachelor’s degree to qualify for the emergency certificate?


How much does the emergency certificate cost?

When you apply for the certificate in E-Cert, you will be charged $44.

I am eligible for the emergency but I think I will finish my outstanding assessments by the end of June, what should I do?

You are not required to do anything. If you do not want to apply for the emergency, you do not need to request the certificate. If you request the certificate and it is approved, but think you will not need it before qualify for your residency, you do not have to apply for the certificate in E-Cert.

How long is the emergency certificate valid for?

The emergency certificate is valid for one year.

Can I renew the emergency certificate?

WSU can recommend educators for one additional year. WSU will require an application process to renew the emergency. The ultimate goal is to qualify for the residency certificate.

Can I teach for any district in Washington with the emergency certificate?

Yes, the emergency certificate allows you to teach as a substitute or contracted teacher in the state of Washington.

I am planning to move out of state, will I be able to use the emergency certificate in that state?

Since teacher certification is governed by each state, you will need to check with the state you are planning to move to.

I have the emergency certificate and I finished my edTPA and content exams, how do I get my residency certificate?

You will need to email COE Certification  or to notify the certification office that you have completed the requirements for the residency certificate.