Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University
College of Education

Emergency Certificate

Emergency Certification

We are sorry that COVID-19 has interrupted your progress toward the residency certificate. During these difficult times, the College of Education is here to support you through the certification process. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with.

Emergency Certificate Policy

Due to the virus and the abrupt halt to the operations of public schools and testing centers nationwide, the Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) adopted an emergency rule to assist pre-service teachers who were not able to meet requirements for the residency certificate because of COVID-19. Teacher education programs in Washington can temporarily recommend pre-service teachers for the Emergency Certificate if ALL requirements are completed with the exception of edTPA and/or content testing (WEST-E or NES).

We are committed to assisting pre-service teachers with completing the requirements for the residency certificate. The Emergency Certificate is a tool that will allow candidates to serve as a substitute or contracted teacher with any district in the State of Washington while they finish outstanding requirements for the residency certificate.

If you qualify for this certificate the following will need to be completed in order for our office to recommend you:

  • A bachelor’s degree
  • All required coursework for the residency certificate
  • Valid fingerprints or Washington certificate on file
  • A request form (see below) which includes a narrative of how COVID-19 has stalled your ability to earn the residency certificate and how you plan to meet all requirements for the residency certificate within one year – this allows our office to accurately report and track candidates affected by COVID-19.

The request for the emergency certificate (below) should be submitted to Staci Bickelhaupt at

Once the request has been approved by the Department of Teaching and Learning, WSU will recommend candidates for the emergency certificate. The candidate will receive an email from “COE Certification” telling them how to apply and pay the $44 fee to the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI).

Please direct any questions to

Emergency Certificate Frequently Asked Questions

Request for a Washington Emergency Certificate

  • I request that Washington State University (WSU) recommend me for an emergency teacher certificate because I have not completed all requirements (edTPA/WEST-E/NES) for the residency teacher certificate. I understand that I must complete the required assessment(s) during the one-year validity period of the Emergency Certificate. Should a second emergency certificate be necessary, for me, I understand that I will need to provide evidence that I have been attempting to meet the residency certificate requirements.