Dr. Ernst-Slavit is professor of education and ELL. She teaches courses in sociolinguistics, literacy and biliteracy, research on second language teaching and learning, and critical issues in the education of Latinx students. She is the author/coauthor of 12 books and past president of WAESOL (Washington State English to Speakers of Other Languages).
- WSU Faculty Diversity Award, WSU highest diversity award honoring scholarship, instruction, and service (March 2020).
- Keynote Speaker, Reflexiones y Estrategias sobre la importancia del Lenguaje Oral en el Aula. Centro Peruano de Audición, Lenguaje y Aprendizaje. Lima, Peru (February 2020).
- “Real Hero” Award received from the Identity Clark County Learn Here, Vancouver, WA (October 2019).
- Principal Investigator ELL IMPACT Project, a $2.2 million U.S. DOE funded project to support the preparation of bilingual and ELL paraeducators in an alternative routes to teaching program (2016-2021).
2019 – Planning meaningful instruction for ELLs: Integrating Academic language and Content in K-12 Classrooms. Coauthored w/ J. Egbert. Open Education Access press Books.
2018 – Views from the Inside: languages, Cultures and Schooling for K-12 Educators. Information Age Publishing, audited w/ J. Egbert. Information Age Publishing.
2014 – Academic Language in Diverse Classrooms: Definitions and Contexts, coauthored w/ M. Gottlieb. Corwin.
2014 – Academic Language in Diverse Classrooms: English Language Arts, Grades 6-8, coedited w/ M. Gottlieb. Corwin.
2014 – Academic Language in Diverse Classrooms: English Language Arts, Grades 3-5, coedited w/ M. Gottlieb. Corwin.
2014 – Academic Language in Diverse Classrooms: English Language Arts, Grades K-2, coedited w/ M. Gottlieb, Corwin.
2013 – Academic Language in Diverse Classrooms: Mathematics, Grades 6-8, coedited w/ M. Gottlieb. Corwin.
2013 – Academic Language in Diverse Classrooms: Mathematics, Grades 3-5, coedited w/ M. Gottlieb. Corwin.
2020. La planificación lingüística y la educación bilingüe en Yucatán [Yucatec Maya Language Planning and Bilingual Education in the Yucatán]. Archivos Analíticos de Políticas Educatuvas, coauthored w/ A. Guerrettaz & E. Johnson.
2020 “Whoa…Welcome to America!”: Supporting refugee background students’ socioemotional wellbeing, English language development and content area learning. Journal of Research in Childhood Education, coauthored w/ S. Newcomer, Y. Ardasheva, J.A. Morrison, S.J. Morrison, K. Carbonneau, L.K. Lightner.
2019 Equity Perspectives and Restrictionist Policies: Tensions in Dual Language Bilingual Education. Bilingual Research Journal, coauthored w/ K. Pratt.
2019 “Unless you were Native American… everybody came from another country:” Language and Content Learning in a Grade 4 Diverse Classroom. The Social Studies. Coauthored w/ S. Morrison.
- Ph.D. Bilingual/Multicultural Education, University of Florida
- M.S. Multicultural/Multilingual Education, Educational Research, Florida State University
- B.S. Clinical Psychology, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú