You know your stuff. Here’s how you can teach it.
In addition to being certified, teachers must hold an endorsement in a teaching subject approved by Washington state.
For our students who plan to teach K-8, they will pursue an endorsement in elementary education. These students must also choose one of the following add-on endorsements: English Language Learners Middle Level Mathematics, Middle Level Science, or Special Education.
For WSU students who plan to teach specific subjects (such as high school history or music), the student will complete a major in that area of expertise, and will choose the teacher preparation option.
Specific subject teaching certificate programs
Candidates for specific subject certificates shall declare a major and meet the degree and endorsement requirements of the subject-matter department,and complete the Secondary Professional Education Core Requirements. To enhance employment opportunities, it is recommended that candidates complete requirements for an additional endorsement.
Secondary education professional core requirements
- Biological Science
- Choral Music
- Earth and Space Science
- Elementary Education (UCORE)
- Elementary Education (GER)
- English Language Arts
- Health and Fitness(UCORE) New!*
- Health and Fitness (GER)*
- Instrumental Music
- Social Studies
* The Health & Fitness teaching endorsement will not be accepting any new undergraduate students admitted to WSU after fall 2015. Methods courses will be offered until spring 2017 to help students presently enrolled complete their certification.
Career and Technical Education
Add-on Endorsements (non-degree)
- English Language Learners (ELL) checklist
- English Language Learners (ELL)
- Bilingual Education
- Middle Level Mathematics
- Middle Level Science
- Science (General)
- Special Education checklist
- Special Education