How learning with texts and graphics may promote epistemic and conceptual change around STEM concepts. My research focuses on students in K-12 through college, as well as members of the public. I also examine the educational, policy, and health-related implications of the public’s understanding of science.
- Ph. D. in Urban Education Policy, University of Southern California
- Concentration: Educational Psychology
- M. A. in Psychological Science, California State University, Chico
- B. A. in Psychology, California State University, Chico
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Polikoff, M. S., Le, Q. T., Danielson, R. W., Sinatra, G. M., & Marsh, J. (2018). The Impact of Speedometry on Student Knowledge, Interest, and Emotions. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness. 1-23, https://doi.org/10.1080/19345747.2017.1390025
- Mason, L., Baldi, R., Di Ronco, S., Scrimin, S., Danielson, R. W., & Sinatra, G. M. (2017). Textual and graphical refutations: Effects on conceptual change learning. Contemporary Educational Psychology. 49, 275-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2017.03.007
- Danielson, R. W. & Sinatra, G. M. (2017). A Relational Reasoning Approach to Text-Graphic Processing. Educational Psychology Review, 29(1), 55-72. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10648-016-9374-2
- Heddy, B. C., Danielson, R. W., Sinatra, G. M., & Graham, J. (2017). Modifying Knowledge, Emotions, and Attitudes about Genetically Modified Organisms. Journal of Experimental Education. 85(3), 513-533. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220973.2016.1260523
- Danielson, R. W. & Sinatra, G. M., Kendeou, P. (2016). Augmenting the Refutation Text Effect with Metaphors and Graphics. Discourse Processes, 53(5-6), 392-414. https://doi.org/10.1080/0163853X.2016.1166334
- Lombardi, D., Danielson, R. W., and Young, N. (2016). A plausible connection: Critical evaluation, the refutation effect, and plausibility reappraisal. Learning and Instruction, 44 74-86. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2016.03.003
- Danielson, R. W., Schwartz, N. H., & Lippmann, M. (2015). Metaphorical Graphics Aid Learning and Memory. Learning and Instruction, 39, 194-205. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2015.07.004
- Corwin, Z.B. & Danielson, R. (2016). Admission is the Mission: How First Generation Students Approach Learning About College Through Games. In: Diversifying Barbie and Mortal Kombat: Carnegie-Mellon Press
- Sinatra, G. M., & Danielson, R. W. (2016). Adapting Evolution Education to a Warming Climate of Teaching and Learning. In Evolutionary Perspectives on Child Development and Education (pp. 271-290). Springer International Publishing.
- Corwin, B. Z., Danielson, R. W., Ragusa, G., & Tierney, W., G. (2016). Can Games Facilitate Access to College? In: O’Neil, H. F., Baker, E. L., & Perez, R. S. (Eds.) Using Games and Simulations for Teaching and Assessment: Key Issues. Routledge/Taylor Francis.
- Sinatra, G. M. & Danielson, R. W. (2014). Adapting to a Warmer Climate of Science Communication. BioScience, https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/biu023