Phyllis Erdman’s professional background is marriage and family therapy and viewing the impact of relationships from a systemic lens. Her current research focus is looking at the interaction between humans and animals and the therapeutic benefit of that relationship. She has conducted research and presented on animal loss and how humans conceptualize and process that grief. She is involved in ethical and legal aspects of policies regarding emotional support animals, therapy, and service animals with a strong emphasis on the welfare of the animal. She is interested in promoting the field of human-animal interaction from a multidisciplinary framework. She is past chair and actively involved in the APA Div 17 section – Human-Animal Interaction.
Selected CHAPTERS and ARTICLES
- Erdman, P., Mueller, M, Schroeder, K, Jenkins, J., Hart, L. (In Press). Navigating Pathways for Careers in Human-Animal Interaction: A Guide for Advisors and Mentors. Human Animal Interaction Journal.
- Kogan, L.R.; Bussolari, C.; Currin-McCulloch, J.; Packman, W.; Erdman, P. (2022) Disenfranchised Guilt-Pet Owners’ Burden. Animals, 12, 1690. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani12131690
- Kogan, L.R.; Packman, W.; Erdman, P.; Currin-McCulloch, J.; Bussolari, C. (2022). US Adults’ Perceptions of Dog Breed Bans, Dog Aggression and Breed-Specific Laws. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 19, 10138. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph191610138
- Kogan, L. R., Packman, W., Bussolari, C., Currin-McCulloch, J., & Erdman, P. (2022). Pet Death and Owners’ Memorialization Choices. Illness, Crisis & Loss, 0(0). https://doi.org/10.1177/10541373221143046
- Kogan, L., Currin-McCulloch, J., Bussolari, C. Packman, W. & Erdman, P. (2021). The psychosocial influence of companion animals on positive and negative affect during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Animals, 11(7), 2084. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani11072084
- Currin-McCullouch, J., Bussolari, C., Packman, W., Kogan, LR, Erdman, P., Grounded by Purrs and Petting: Experiences with Companion Cats during COVID-19″ (2021) Human Animal Interaction Bulletin https://www.human-animal-interaction.org/hai-bulletin-articles/
- Kogan, L, Packman, W, Currin-McCulloch, J., Bussolari, C., Erdman, P. (2021) The loss of a service dog through death or retirement: Experiences and impact on partners. Journal of Illness, Crisis and Loss, p. 1-27 https://doi.org/10.1177/10541373211054168
- Ph.D., Counseling, with specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy, St. Mary’s University, San Antonio, TX
- M.Ed., Counseling, University of Houston, Houston, TX
- BA, Psychology, University of Houston, Houston, TX