Dr. Poppen’s research and scholarship is broadly focused on supporting career development and transition outcomes for youth and young adults with disabilities. His interests include understanding the unique paths of career development for youth and young adults with disabilities, including those involved in the juvenile justice system, foster care system, and/or living with mental health concerns; collaborative school-based transition programs that are designed to facilitate the coordination and delivery of per-employment transition services; post-secondary education programs for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities; and, program evaluation and capacity building efforts that support data-based decision making.
Teaching and Professional Interests
Dr. Poppen’s teaching interests are in Special Education. His professional interests include program evaluation, research, and implementation sciences.
- Poppen, M., Whittenburg, H., Bruno, L., Sheridan-Stiefel, K., & McMahon, D. (2021). Evaluation of the Coordination and Delivery of Pre-Employment Transition Services in Washington State. Submitted to Washington Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.
- Gotch, C., Poppen, M., Razo, J., & Modderman, S. (2021). Examination of teacher formative assessment self-efficacy development across a professional learning experience. Teacher Development.
- McMahon, D., Hirschfelder, K., Poppen, M., Whittenburg, H., & Bruno, L. (2021). WSU ROAR and ROAR Online! Program Description and COVID-19 Response. Rural Special Education Quarterly. Advanced online publication.
- Lombardi, A., Rifenbark, G., Poppen, M., Reardon, K., Mazzotti, V. L., Morningstar, M. E., Rowe, D. A., & Raley, S. (2021). Development and validation of the Secondary Transition Fidelity Assessment. Assessment for Effective Intervention. Advanced online publication.
- Mazzotti, V.I, Rowe, D. A., Kwiatek, S., Voggt, A., Chang, W., Fowler, C., Poppen, M., Sinclair, J., & Test, D. (2021). Secondary transition predictors of post-school success: An update to the field. Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals, 40(1), 47-64.
- Poppen, M., & Alsalamah, A. (2020). Evaluation of School-Based Pre-Employment Transition Services in Washington State. Submitted to Washington Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.
- Scheef, A., Thapa, E., Lerum, E., & Poppen, M. (2020). The impact of an inclusive post-secondary course on pre-service teachers. Journal of Special Education Apprenticeship, 19(1), 1-11.
- Barrio, B., Carbonneau, K., Poppen, M., Miller, D., Dunn, M., Hsiao, Y. (2019). Theory to Practice: Implementation Achievements and Challenges of Response to Intervention in a Rural District. Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals, 11(1), 125-160.
- Poppen, M., & Alverson, C. (2018) Policies and practice: A review of legislation affecting transition services for individuals with disabilities. In B. Hughes, C. Johnson & B. Taga (Eds.). New Directions for Adult & Continuing Education, Support and Transitions for Adults with Special Needs, 2018 (160), 63-76.
- Scheef, A., Barrio, B., Poppen, M., McMahon, D., & Miller, D. (2018). Exploring barriers for facilitating work experience opportunities for students with intellectual disabilities enrolled in post-secondary education programs. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability.
- Poppen, M., Lindstrom, L., Unruh, D., Khurana, A., & Bullis, M. (2017). Preparing youth with disabilities for employment: An analysis of vocational rehabilitation case services data. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 46, 209-224. doi:10.3233/JVR-160857
- Lind, J., Poppen, M., & Murray, C. (2017). An intervention to promote positive teacher-student relationships and self-determination among adolescents with emotional disturbance. Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals, 40, 186-191.
- Scheef, A., Barrio, B., & Poppen, M. (2017). Developing partnerships with businesses to support job training for youth with disabilities in Singapore. Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals, 40, 156-164.
- Mazzotti, V.I, Rowe, D. A., Sinclair, J., Poppen, M., & Woods, W. (November 2016). Predictors of post-school success: A systematic review of NLTS-2 secondary analyses. Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals, 38, 196-215.
- Poppen, M., Sinclair, J., Hirano, K., Lindstrom, L., & Unruh, D. (May 2016). Perceptions of mental health concerns for secondary students with disabilities during transition to adulthood. Education and Treatment of Children, 39, 221-241.
- Lindstrom, L., Harwick, R., Poppen, M., & Doren, B. (2012) Gender gaps: Career development for young women with disabilities, Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals, 35(2), 108-117.
- Ph.D., Special Education, University of Oregon (2014)
- M.S., Special Education, University of Oregon (2012)
- B.A., Family and Human Services, University of Oregon (2007)
Transition Self-Assessment Tool (TSAT)