Joy Egbert conducts research on learning environments, particularly as they involve English language learners and technology. Her theoretical framework focuses on task engagement.
Dr. Egbert teaches courses in the English as Second Language (ESL) endorsement program, the ESL course in the elementary teacher education program, and graduate courses in foundations of education research, media production, education technology, and computer-assisted language learning. Egbert is especially interested in ESL and technology, specifically computer-assisted language learning (CALL). Egbert has taught ESL pre-kindergarten through adult, and is certified K-12 in Idaho for computers and ESL, and at the secondary level for English and Russian.
- Editor, TESOL Journal, 2016-2018
- Creating the Virtual Immersive Teaching and Learning lab.
- Developing a cross-cultural model of task engagement.
- Ph.D. Higher Education Teaching, University of Arizona, 1993
- M.A. English as a Second Language, University of Arizona, 1986
- B.A. Russian and East European Area Studies, University of Illinois, 1984