Mathematics and Science Education
Department of Teaching and Learning
- Fall: PRIORITY – December 01 | closes May 1
- Spring: PRIORITY – July 1 | closes October 1
Although late applications may be considered, the department cannot guarantee an admission decision will be made prior to the start of the semester for which you apply.
Step One – Know…..
Here’s a “checklist” of information you’ll need when you apply.
01. WSU Graduate School general application requirements (including application fee).
once in GradCAS search for Washington State University (program name)
02. Current resume or vitae.
03. Letter of Intent. The letter of intent must include:
(a) the reason for pursuing a graduate degree,
(b) a description of teaching or other life experience that relates to graduate study,
(c) a commitment to scholarship or professional development,
(d) a specific research or inquiry interest,
(e) the unique perspective you would bring to the graduate program, and, if applying for an assistantship,
(f) why you would be an effective teacher at the college level.
04. Academic writing sample. This writing sample must be a formal, academic writing sample, such as a thesis or paper.
05. Three letters of reference. The three letters of recommendation, submitted through GradCAS, must address your:
(a) interpersonal skills,
(c) experience with children or youth, and
(d) facility with written, oral, and interpersonal communication.
In addition, if applying for a teaching assistantship, one of the letters must also address your effectiveness as a teacher.
06. Complete Educational History and Transcripts from any colleges/universities:
• Where any degrees have been granted or are expected.
• That show any graded bachelor’s work and/or graduate-level work (including doctoral) taken after the bachelor’s degree.
• Unofficial copies may be uploaded with your Graduate School application for application review. If admitted, you will be required to submit official copies to the WSU Graduate School.
Official WSU Transcripts are NOT required for coursework taken at WSU.
07. International Students must meet the university’s English proficiency and funding requirements. Please view the current requirements.
08. Copies of currently held education certificates.
Step Two – Go!
*Once in GradCAS, search for Washington State University (program name)