Special Education and literacy
14204 NE Salmon Creek Ave,
Vancouver, WA 98686-9600
Writing strategy interventions, struggling writers, learning disabilities, multi-tiered systems of support (MTSS), inclusion strategies for students with disabilities, general education teachers’ referral criteria and processes for students’ possible special education classification and placement
As an elementary/middle school teacher in the Toronto area for eleven years, Dr. Michael Dunn taught second-language education, kindergarten, and special education/English as second language. At Washington State University, Dr. Michael Dunn teaches the following courses at the master’s and doctoral level: Education to Exceptional Children, Teaching Students with Disabilities, Assessment and Curriculum for Students with Disabilities, Inclusion Strategies for Special Education Teachers, Prevention and Remediation of Reading Disabilities, Teaching in Inclusive Classrooms, Seminar in Response to Intervention, Seminar in Response to Intervention across the Core Academic Curriculum, Seminar in Single-Subject Design Methodology.
- Peer Reviewed Journal Articles, Accepted:
- Dunn, M., Miller, D., Stair, M., & Welsh-Griffin, H. (Accepted; expected to be in print in July 2021’s issue). Glimpses inside the minds of young writers: How children plan texts with art. Journal of Research in Childhood Education. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02568543.2020.1743395
- PUBLICATIONS Peer Reviewed Journal Articles, Published:
- Dunn, M., Zajic, M., & Berninger, V. (2020). Understanding the self in self-regulated writing of students in grades 4 to 9 with dysgraphia. International Journal of School & Educational Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1080/21683603.2020.1721384
- Rice, M., & Dunn, M. (2020). Addressing the needs of struggling writers: How art can facilitate the writing process. Teaching Exceptional Children. 52(3), 147-156. https://doi.org/10.1177/0040059919892833
- Edited Book:
- Dunn, M. W. (Ed). (2020). Writing instruction and intervention for struggling writers: Multi-Tiered Systems of Support. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 978-1-5275-4179-5 https://www.cambridgescholars.com/writing-instruction-and-intervention-for-struggling-writers
- Invited Book Chapter:
- Dunn, M., Pratt, K., & Van Putten. (2020). Quality language education for diversity and inclusion: Challenges and proposals for quality improvement. In J. de Dios Martínez Agudo (Ed). ESL & applied linguistics professional series. Quality in TESOL and teacher education moving beyond a results culture towards a quality culture. New York: Springer.
- Division of Visual and Performing Arts Education (DARTS) Treasurer, 2019-21.
- WA State Chapter Council for Exceptional Children, Executive Board Member at Large, 2019-21.
- Funded 2018-19 internal competitive Vet-Med Educational Research Grant, $7,825.
You can view Dr Dunn’s social networking sites (each link opens in a new browser tab or window) at: Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Ph.D. Special Education/Language Education, Indiana University, Bloomington, 2005
- M.A.Ed. Literacy Education, Mt. St. Vincent University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 2002
- B.A./B.Ed. Second-Language Education/Political Science, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1991