Dr. Connolly’s research focuses primarily on ultra-endurance triathlon performance and medical care. He has worked extensively with past medical and performance data for elite triathletes, including examinations into serious injury occurrences. Dr. Connolly’s second research area involves physical activity and movement behaviors during pregnancy and the postpartum period. His past work with these populations has focused on activity monitor validation, the promotion of walking behavior, and examinations into specific physical activity barriers and/or enabling factors.
Dr. Connolly teaches courses in exercise physiology and physical activity behavior (KINES 380, KINES 496, KINES 550, KINES 580), and enjoys working with students as a part of practicum or independent study experiences. Dr. Connolly is actively involved in the American College of Sports Medicine at national/international (ACSM) and regional levels (NWACSM).
- Connolly, C.P., Montoye A.H., Dahmen, J.B., & Campbell, N. (2020). Physical activity monitor accuracy during overground walking and free-living conditions among pregnant women. Journal for the Measurement of Physical Behaviour, 3(2), 100-109. doi: 10.1123/jmpb.2019-0059
- Connolly, C.P., Conger, S.A., Montoye, A.H., Marshall, M.R., Schlaff, R.A., Badon, S.E., & Pivarnik, J.M. (2019). Walking for pregnancy health: A literature review and considerations for future research. Journal of Sport and Health Science, 8(5), 401-411. doi: 10.1016/j.jshs.2018.11.004
- Montoye, A.H., Connolly, C.P., Dahmen, J.B., & Campbell, N. (2019). Accuracy of physical activity monitors for steps and calorie measurement during pregnancy walking. Journal for the Measurement of Physical Behaviour, 2(3), 143-156. doi: 10.1123/jmpb.2018-0067
- Connolly, C.P., Mudd, L.M., & Pivarnik, J.M. (2019). Associations among work-related and leisure-time physical activity with levels of nausea in pregnancy. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, 13(4), 424-431. doi: 10.1177/1559827617695783
- Prewitt-White, T.R., Connolly, C.P., Feito, Y., Bladek, A., Forsythe, S., Hamel, L., & McChesney, M.R. (2018). Breaking barriers: Women’s experiences of CrossFit training during pregnancy. Women in Sport and Physical Activity Journal, 26(1), 33-42. doi: 10.1123/wspaj.2017-0024
- Connolly, C.P., Pivarnik J.M., Mudd, L.M., Feltz, D.L., Schlaff, R.A., Lewis, G.M., Silver, R.M., & Lapinski, M.K. (2016). Influence of risk perceptions and efficacy beliefs on LTPA during pregnancy. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 13(5), 494-503. doi: 10.1123/jpah.2015-0358
- Ph.D., Kinesiology, Michigan State University
- M.S., Exercise Science, The University of Tennessee
- B.S., Exercise Sciences, Brigham Young University