WSU College of Education Add-on endorsement program

Finding the best program for you

Add-on endorsements are those that are added to a valid Washington State teacher certificate. In Washington there are three options to adding an endorsement to a currently valid Initial, Residency, Continuing, or Professional Teacher Certificate.

Add-on endorsement program


Credits can be earned at either the undergraduate or graduate level. View current tuition and fee costs.

The Professional Educator Standards Board offers an Educator Retooling Program to support teachers who wish to add endorsements in high need areas.  WSU students planning to apply for the Educator Retooling Program must complete a program of study.

Completing endorsement course work at other institutions

You are not required to complete all of your course work at WSU; however 50% of your course work including the methods course work must be completed with us. If you would like to take a course from another institution you must receive WSU’s approval prior to enrolling in the course.

Getting started

  • Teachers pursuing an add-on endorsement through WSU can complete requirements as a graduate or non-degree student.  Currently, the College of Education does not offer any online advanced degrees.  Visit the Office of Admission's website to apply for undergraduate admission.  Apply to the Graduate School here.

Applying to the WSU add-on endorsement program

  • If you plan to complete an add-on endorsement as part of a graduate degree submit the following:
  • If you are planning to complete requirements as a non-degree seeking post-baccalaureate submit the following:
    • Completed application
    • Copy of valid teacher certificate
    • Official transcripts for any course work that is applicable to the add-on endorsement
    • A self-evaluation worksheet if you have taken courses you believe will count toward the endorsement you are pursuing
    • $50 check payable to WSU for evaluation/application fee

Pullman, DDP
Staci Bickelhaupt
PO Box 642114
Pullman, WA 99164-2114
(509) 335-8146

Helen Berry
2710 University Dr.
Richland, WA 99352-1671
(509) 372-7394

Dan Overbay
14204 NE Salmon Creek Ave
Vancouver, WA 98686-9600
(360) 546-9673

Kelly LaGrutta
PO Box 1495
Spokane, WA 99210-1495
(509) 358-7942

**If applying to Vancouver, contact Dan Overbay for additional requirements


In addition to completing all of the course work outlined by WSU, you must pass the WEST-E for the endorsement to be added to your certificate.  Additionally, Designated World Languages and Bilingual Education require passing score on the ACTFL.

Adding the endorsement to your teacher certificate

After you complete the required course work, you must submit a request to add the endorsement to a valid Washington certificate. Once you have submitted your request your name will be submitted to OSPI through E-Certificaton.  In the interim you will receive a temporary 180-day permit with the new endorsement. The endorsement will not be added to your Washington certificate until you complete this process.