Brian French’s research focuses on educational and psychological measurement issues. The first area concerns the application of psychometric methods to gather score validity evidence for a variety of instruments. The second area, informed by the first, is the use of methodological studies to evaluate and improve methods in terms of efficiency and accuracy used to gather test score validity evidence. A sample of topics of interest include: Measurement Invariance, Structural Equation Modeling, Item Response Theory, Classical Test Theory, Factor Analysis, Monte Carlo studies.
Dr. French teaches courses in measurement/psychometrics, statistics, research methods, and advanced quantitative methods.
- French, B.F., & Finch, W. H. (2010). Hierarchical logistic regression: Accounting for multilevel data in DIF detection. Journal of Educational Measurement, 47, 299-317.
- Finch, W. H. & French, B. F. (2010). Detecting differential item functioning of a course satisfaction instrument in the presence of multilevel data. The Journal of The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition, 22, 27-48.
- Dumas, J. E., Moreland-Begle, A., French, B. F., & Pearl, A. (2010). The PACE parenting program: The effects of monetary incentives on engagement and outcomes. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 39, 302-313.
- Finch, W. H., & French, B.F. (2011) Estimation of MIMIC model parameters with multilevel data. Structural Equation Modeling, 18, 229-252.
- Yang, D., Richardson, J., French. B. F., & Lehman, J. D. (2011). The development of a content analysis model for assessing students' cognitive learning in asynchronous online discussions. Journal of Educational Technology Research and Development, 59, 43.
- Park, G.-P., & French, B. F. (2011). Beyond the mean differences of the SILL by
gender: Differential item functioning. The Journal of Asia TEFL, 8, 201-229.
- Breidenbach, D., & French, B. F. (2011). Ordinal logistic regression to detect differential item functioning for gender in the institution integration scale. Journal of College Student Retention, 12, 339-352.
- Gotch, C. M. & French, B. F. (2011). The factor structure of the CIBS-II-Readiness assessment. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 29, 249-260.
- Duffin, L. C., French, B. F., & Patrick, H. (2012). A confirmatory factor analysis of pre-service teacher scores from the teachers’ sense of efficacy scale. Teaching and Teacher Education, 28, 827-834.
- French, B. F., Hand, B., Therrien, W. J., & Valdivia Vazquez, J. A. (2012). Detection of sex differential item functioning in the Cornell Critical Thinking Test. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 28, 201-207.
- Finch, W. H., & French, B.F. (2012). A comparison of methods for estimating confidence intervals for omega squared effect size. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 72, 68-77.
- Hoover, B., French, B. F., Field, W., & Tormoehlen, R. L. (2012). Adjusting Passing
Scores for the Gearing Up for Safety: Production Agriculture Safety Training for Youth Curriculum Test Instruments. Journal of Agricultural Education, 53, 1-13.
- Ph.D., Educational Psychology, Purdue University
- M.S., Educational Psychology, Purdue University
- B.A., Psychology and Spanish, Seattle University