Sara Sorensen Petersen teaches courses in the special education endorsement program as well as Teaching in Inclusive Classrooms for general education teachers as part of the elementary education program. She also teaches a course in special education for administrators, Special Education Practices for School Administrators. Her specialty is special education law and policy, teaching students requiring intensive educational supports, and inclusive practices. She has been a special education teacher at the elementary level in both resource room and life skills settings.
Sorensen Petersen’s research interests a focused on special education law, litigation and policy. She is also interested in Universal Design for Learning and accessibility in higher education, and international special education practices and policies.
- 2015 College of Education Faculty Award of Excellence for Excellence in Service
- 2014 College of Education Faculty Funding Award (with Yun-Ju Hsiao)
- 2008 Faculty-Led Study Abroad Mini-Grant (with SusanRae Banks-Joseph)
- J.D. – University of Oregon School of Law, 2001
- B.A. – Washington State University, 1995, with endorsements in K-8 elementary education and K-12 special education