Associate Professor (Career Track)
Smith Gym 211B
Pullman, WA 99164
Katy Pietz teaches courses in Techniques in Athletic Training, Upper Extremity Pathologies, Lower Extremity Evaluation, General Medical Conditions and Pharmacology. She also serves as the clinical education coordinator for the Athletic Training Program, supervising the athletic training students during rotations within WSU Intercollegiate Athletics and many clinical sites on the Palouse. She enjoys working directly with students through academic advising of students interested in athletic training and mentoring current and former athletic training students.
Research interests include sports related concussion knowledge levels of a variety of healthcare providers.
- B.S. in Kinesiology with an Emphasis in Athletic Training, Washington State University, 2001
- M.Ed. in Higher Education Administration with an Emphasis in Athletic Administration, WSU, 2003
- M.S. in Prevention Science, WSU, 2018
Mitchell, S. H., Hildenbrand, K., & Pietz, K. (2016). Emergency physicians’ knowledge of sports-related concussion referral patterns, and use of return to play guidelines. Athletic Training and Sports Health Care, 8(5), 209-215.
Pietz, K., Graves, J., Weybright, E., Pinkleton, B., & Klein, T. (2021). Concussions at school: the experiences and knowledge of school nurses. AJN The American Journal of Nursing, 121(2), 28-38.
- Washington State Athletic Trainers’ Association Excellence in Service Award, 2018
- WSU College of Education Excellence in Teaching Award, 2017
- Northwest Athletic Trainers’ Association Outstanding Service Award, 2014