Hsin-Ya Liao’s research focuses on vocational interests, help-seeking, and intergroup relations. Her recent projects include the development of indigenous interest assessments, examination of interest structure and assessment across cultures, the role of culture and stigma on the likelihood of seeking psychological help, and the role of intergroup rejection sensitivity on one’s psychological well-being.
Dr. Liao teaches the following courses: Career Counseling- Theory and Methods, Cognitive Assessment, Personality Assessment, Cross-Cultural Research in Counseling and Assessment, Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Advanced Practicum, and Seminar in Research in Counseling Psychology.
Grants and awards
- 2015-2016 – Pauline E. Thompson Education Endowment, Department of Educational Leadership, Sport Studies, and Educational/Counseling Psychology, Washington State University
- 2015 – Outstanding Research Award for Division E (Counseling and Human Development), American Education Research Association
- 2015 – College of Education Faculty Funding Award, Washington State University
Selected Recent Publications
- Robb, J. L., Chou, C.-C., Johnson, L. G., Liao, H.-Y., & Tan, S.-Y. (in press). Stigma and substance use: Mediating effects of social support and coping in pathway between perceived and internalized stigma. The Journal of Rehabilitation.
- Vogel, D. L., Heath, P. J., Engel K. E., Brenner, R. E., Strass, H. A., Al-Darmaki, F. R., Armstrong, P. I., Galbraith, N., Galbraith, V., Baptista, M. N., Gonçalves, M., Liao, H.-Y., Mackenzie, C., Mak, W. W. S., Rubin, M., Topkaya, N., Wang, Y.-F., & Zlati, A. (2017). Cross-cultural validation of the Perceptions of Stigmatization by Others for Seeking Help (PSOSH) scale. Stigma and Health. Advanced online publication. doi:10.1037/sah0000119
- Liao, H.-Y., Spanierman, L. B., Harlow, A., & Neville, H. A. (2017). Do parents matter? Examination of White college students’ intergroup experiences and attitudes. The Counseling Psychologist, 45, 193-212.
- Vogel, D. L., Strass, H. A., Al-Darmaki, F. R., Armstrong, P. I., Baptista, M. N., Brenner, R. E., Gonçalves, M., Heath, P. J., Lannin, D. G., Liao, H-Y., Mackenzie, C., Mak, W. W. S., Rubin, M., Topkaya, N., Wade, N. G., Wang, Y-F, & Zlati, A. (2017). Stigma associated with seeking mental health services: Examination across ten countries/regions. The Counseling Psychologist, 45, 170-192.
- Chronister, J., Chou, C-C., Fitzgerald, S. D., & Liao, H-Y. (2016). Social support and persons with psychiatric disabilities: A cluster analysis. Journal of Applied Rehabilitation, 47(3), 29-40.
- Liao, H.-Y., Hong, Y-y., & Rounds, J. (2016). Perception of subtle racism: The role of group status and legitimizing ideologies. The Counseling Psychologist, 44, 237-266.
- Yeh, C. J., Liao, H-Y., Ma, P-W. W., Shea, M, Okubo, Y., & Kim, A. B., & Atkins, M. S. (2014). Ecological risk and protective factors of depression and anxiety among low-income Chinese immigrant youth. Asian American Journal of Psychology, 5, 190-199.
- No, S., Hong, Y.-y., Liao, H.-Y., Lee, K., & Wood, D., & Chao, M. M. (2008). Lay theory of race affects and moderates Asian Americans’ responses toward American culture. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 95, 991-1004.
- Spanierman, L. B., Neville, H. A., Liao, H.-Y., Hammer, J. H., & Wang, Y.-F. (2008). Participation in formal and informal campus experiences: Effects on students’ racial democratic beliefs. Journal of Diversity in Higher Education, 1, 108-125.
- Liao, H.-Y., Armstrong, P. I., & Rounds, J. (2008). Development and initial validation of public domain Basic Interest Markers [Monograph]. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 73, 159-183.
- Rounds, J., Armstrong, P. I., Liao, H.-Y., Rivkin, D., & Lewis, P. (2008). Second generation Occupational Interest Profiles for the O*NET System. Raleigh, NC: National Center for O*NET Development. Summary retrieved from http://www.onetcenter.org/reports/SecondOIP_Summary.html.
- Rounds, J., Armstrong, P. I., Liao, H.-Y., Rivkin, D., & Lewis, P. (2008). Second generation Occupational Value Profiles for the O*NET System. Raleigh, NC: National Center for O*NET Development. Summary retrieved from http://www.onetcenter.org/reports/SecondOVP_Summary.html.
- Hong, Y.-y., Liao, H.-Y., Wang, R. Y. M., Chan, G., Chiu, C., Ip, G. W., Fu, H., & Hansen, I. G. (2006). Temporal causal links between outgroup attitudes and social categorization: The case of Hong Kong 1997 transition. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 9, 265-288.
- Liao, H.-Y., Rounds, J., & Klein, A. G. (2005). A test of Cramer’s (1999) help-seeking model and acculturation effects with Asian/Asian American college students. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 52, 400-411.
- Ph.D., Counseling Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.A., Counselor Education in Psychology, New York University
- B.S., Psychology, National Taiwan University