Cathryn Claussen is an authority in the field of sport law, with particular expertise in the areas of constitutional and civil rights in the context of sport. Her research focuses on discrimination and First Amendment issues in sport. She has authored several articles and book chapters on these subjects. Additionally, Dr. Claussen co-authored a leading sport law textbook titled Sport Law: A Managerial Approach.
Dr. Claussen teaches undergraduate and graduate Sport Law courses, and serves as the Program Coordinator and the Internship Coordinator for the Sport Management Program. She serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport, and has served as President of the Sport & Recreation Law Association. Claussen brings a variety of practical experiences in the sport industry to her teaching. She has played tennis professionally, and was an assistant tennis coach at the college level. Additionally, she has worked in sporting goods retail sales, has taught and supervised activities in recreational programs, and has coordinated and conducted several sports events, including fundraising events such as golf tournaments and 5K/10K races. She also consults on topics related to gender equity in athletics.
- Ombudsman, Washington State University, 2011 – present
- Faculty representative to the 2011 Washington Legislature
- Washington State University 2011 Woman of the Year Award
- Sport & Recreation Law Association’s 2010 Betty van der Smissen Leadership Award
- Keynote speaker at the 2006 International Conference on Physical Activity for Women and Girls, Taipei, Taiwan.
- WSU College of Education’s 2005 Faculty Excellence Award for Service
- Recent publications in the Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport, the International Journal of Sport Management, the International Sports Law Journal, and the International Journal of Sports Marketing & Sponsorship.
- J.D. Georgetown University Law Center, 1992
- M.A. Physical Education, University of Iowa, 1986
- B.S. Physical Education, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, 1982