Finding the best program for you
Add-on endorsements are those that are added to a valid Washington State teacher certificate. In Washington there are three options to adding an endorsement to a currently valid Initial, Residency, Continuing, or Professional Teacher Certificate.
- By completing an add-on endorsement program at a college or university (see below). Washington State University offers a number of add-on endorsement programs. Additionally, two endorsements, English Language Learners (ELL) and Special Education can be completed at a distance.
- By earning National Board Certification in a Washington endorsement area. Learn more about our National Board certification.
- Testing and/or assessment alone. Two pathways are available to some teachers, depending on the endorsement(s) they already hold. (See chart for endorsements available via Pathway 1 & 2.)
Through WEST-E testing only, in an area closely compatible with a valid endorsement under which the teacher has taught for at least 90 days. Applications should be submitted directly to the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI).
Through WEST-E testing and successful completion of the Performance-Based Pedagogy Assessment (PPA). View more information about Pathway 2.
Credits can be earned at either the undergraduate or graduate level. View current tuition and fee costs.
The Professional Educator Standards Board offers an Educator Retooling Program to support teachers who wish to add endorsements in high need areas. WSU students planning to apply for the Educator Retooling Program must complete a program of study.
Completing endorsement course work at other institutions
You are not required to complete all of your course work at WSU; however 50% of your course work including the methods course work must be completed with us. If you would like to take a course from another institution you must receive WSU’s approval prior to enrolling in the course.
- Teachers pursuing an add-on endorsement through WSU can complete requirements as a graduate or non-degree student. Currently, the College of Education does not offer any online advanced degrees. Visit the Office of Admission's website to apply for undergraduate admission. Apply to the Graduate School here.
Applying to the WSU add-on endorsement program
- If you plan to complete an add-on endorsement as part of a graduate degree submit the following:
- If you are planning to complete requirements as a non-degree seeking post-baccalaureate submit the following:
- Completed application
- Copy of valid teacher certificate
- Official transcripts for any course work that is applicable to the add-on endorsement
- A self-evaluation worksheet if you have taken courses you believe will count toward the endorsement you are pursuing
- $50 check payable to WSU for evaluation/application fee
**If applying to Vancouver, contact Dan Overbay for additional requirements
In addition to completing all of the course work outlined by WSU, you must pass the WEST-E for the endorsement to be added to your certificate. Additionally, Designated World Languages and Bilingual Education require passing score on the ACTFL.
Adding the endorsement to your teacher certificate
After you complete the required course work, you must apply to add the endorsement to a valid Washington certificate. The endorsement will not be added to your Washington certificate until you complete this process.
After you have submitted your completed application your name will be forwarded to OSPI for a new certificate with the new endorsement added. In the interim you will receive a temporary 180-day permit with the new endorsement noted.