Welcome and overview
The Clearinghouse on Native Teaching & Learning supports culturally-responsive teaching and working collaboratively with local area tribes and education stake holders. Our culturally responsive approach and pedagogies includes helping K-12 teachers better connect with their students to build culturally responsive relationships, which we know is an essential foundation for life-long learning.
Coming from a place-based framework, our mission is to identify effective curriculum resources, high-quality professional development teaching materials and to disseminate useful information and products to improve K-12 teaching and learning for American Indians and Alaska Natives in public schools. In collaboration and partnership with the Plateau Center for American Indian Studies and the Center for Mestizo and Indigenous Research & Outreach, the Clearinghouse on Native Teaching & Learning promotes American Indian and Alaska Native education on the Washington State University (WSU) campus as a resource for teachers, administrators, faculty, students, and staff from the local and regional community.
The Clearinghouse provides a variety of services and expertise pertaining to research in Indian education to WSU students and faculty and those interested in learning more about Indian education issues.
We assist in:
- Professional development for K-12 in-service teachers and administrators;Supporting pre-service and certified teachers' professional development in collaboration with the COE's Department of Teaching & LearningSupporting pre-service and certified teachers' professional development in collaboration with the College of Education, Department of Teaching & Learning
- Literature searches for class assignments, research projects, or professional development;
- Compiling archive materials in either print or electronic form;
- Networking with local schools and organizations serving Native students;
- Identifying exemplary resources: curriculum, books, articles, and classroom materials;
- Outreach and on-site visitation;
- Collaborating with local, regional and national organizations regarding K-12 curriculum and instruction, program and activities.
- Native Achievement Gap Study
- Resources available at the Clearinghouse
- Online resources
- Interactive tribe map
*To schedule an appointment to meet with faculty or staff, please call the number below for more information.
The images are copyrighted by artists Andy and Ruth Peterson.