Welcome and overview
The Clearinghouse on Native Teaching & Learning supports culturally-responsive teaching. This means that we help teachers better connect with students to build strong relationships, which we know is an essential foundation for life-long learning.
Coming from a place-based framework, our mission is to identify effective curriculum resources, high-quality professional development materials and disseminate useful information and products to improve PreK-12 teaching and learning for American Indians and Alaska Natives. In collaboration and partnership with the Plateau Center for American Indian Studies and the Center for Mestizo and Indigenous Research & Outreach, the Clearinghouse on Native Teaching & Learning will be promoting American Indian and Alaska Native education on the Washington State University (WSU) campus as a resource for teachers, administrators, faculty, students, and staff from the local and regional community.
The Clearinghouse provides a variety of services and expertise pertaining to research in Indian education to WSU students and faculty and those interested in learning more about Indian education issues.
We assist in:
- Professional development for K-12 in-service teachers and administrators;Supporting pre-service and certified teachers' professional development in collaboration with the COE's Department of Teaching & LearningSupporting pre-service and certified teachers' professional development in collaboration with the College of Education, Department of Teaching & Learning
- Literature searches for class assignments, research projects, or professional development;
- Compiling archive materials in either print or electronic form;
- Networking with local schools and organizations serving Native students;
- Identifying exemplary resources: curriculum, books, articles, and classroom materials;
- Outreach and on-site visitation;
- Collaborating with local, regional and national organizations regarding K-12 curriculum and instruction, program and activities.
- Native Achievement Gap Study
- Resources available at the Clearinghouse
- Online resources
- Interactive tribe map
*To schedule an appointment to meet with faculty or staff, please call the number below for more information.
The images are copyrighted by artists Andy and Ruth Peterson.