A.G. Rud is a distinguished professor in the Washington State University Department of Teaching and Learning.
From 2010-2012, Dr. Rud served as dean of the WSU College of Education. He was previously head of Purdue University’s Department of Educational Studies. He started at Purdue in 1994 as associate dean, and served in that role until 2001. He taught courses in the history and philosophy of education, higher education, and educational leadership, and advised master's and doctoral students in the cultural foundations of education, preschool-grade 12 educational leadership, higher education, as well as curriculum studies. Before joining the Purdue faculty, he helped establish The North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching, where he was senior fellow.
Dr. Rud’s research focuses on the cultural foundations of education, with particular emphasis on the moral dimensions of teacher education, P-12 educational leadership, and higher education.
- Rud, A. G., & J. Garrison (eds.) (2012). Teaching with reverence: Reviving an ancient virtue for today’s schools. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Rud, A. (2011). Albert Schweitzer’s legacy for education: Reverence for life. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. Video: Albert Schweitzer's Legacy for Education
- Rud, A., Garrison, J., & Stone, L. (Eds.) (2009). John Dewey at 150: Reflections for a new century. West Lafayette, Indiana: Purdue University Press. Video: John Dewey: America's philosopher
- Rud, A., Garrison, J., & Stone, L. Introduction (pp. 1-10). In Rud, A., Garrison, J., & Stone, L. (Eds.) (2009). John Dewey at 150: Reflections for a new century. West Lafayette, Indiana: Purdue University Press.
- Rud, A. (2009). Case commentary: The principal in the middle. (pp. 179-180) In Smith, D. & Goldblatt, P. (Eds.), Exploring leadership and ethical practice through professional inquiry. Laval, Québec: Laval University Press.
- Rud, A., & Garrison, J. (2009) Reverence and listening in teaching and leading. Teachers College Record. Available: . To be published in hard copy Volume 113, Number 10, 2011.
- Garrison, J., & Rud, A. (2009) Reverence in classroom teaching. Teachers College Record 111(11) 2626-2646.
- Editor, Education and Culture, international journal of the John Dewey Society, 2004-2010.
- Ph.D. in philosophy, Northwestern University
- M.A. in philosophy, Northwestern University
- A.B. in religion, Dartmouth College