Phyllis Erdman’s professional interest is marriage and family therapy. She has taught graduate courses in this field, along with general counseling, and supervision. Her research interests are in marriage and family therapy and clinical supervision, and working with parent/child relationship issues. Her latest book, co-authored with Kok-Mun Ng of University of North Carolina-Charlotte, deals with the cross-cultural applications of attachment theory.
Dr. Erdman’s most recent research involves human-animal interaction (HAI). She is especially interested in the effectiveness of equine-facilitated growth and learning activities on children’s social competence. For further information on how to become involved in this work at WSU, and for affiliated faculty and areas of foci, see PATH to Success.
- Erdman, P. and Ng, K. (Eds.) Attachment: Expanding Cultural Connections (2010), NY: Routledge.
- Caffery, T., & Erdman, P. (Summer, 2003). Attachment and family systems theory: Implications for family therapists. Journal of Systemic Therapies, 22(2), 3-15.
- Erdman, P., (Summer, 2003). Invited as guest editor for special section on Conceptualizing attachment theory from a systemic framework: Implications for family therapists for the Journal of Systemic Therapies.
- Erdman, P., & Caffery, T. (Eds). (2003). Attachment and Family Systems: Conceptual, Empirical, and Therapeutic Relatedness. NY: Brunner-Routledge.
- Erdman, P. (2004). An affair to forget. Chapter in L. B. Golden (Ed.). Case Studies in Marriage and Family Therapy (2nd Ed.). NJ: Merrill Prentice-Hall.
- Haslam, C., & Erdman, P. (2003). Linking systems and attachment theory: A conceptual framework for marital violence. Chapter in P. Erdman & T. Caffery (Eds.), Attachment and Family Systems: Conceptual, Empirical, and Therapeutic Relatedness. NY: Brunner/Routledge.
- Ph.D., Counseling, with specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy, St. Mary's University, San Antonio, TX
- M.Ed., Counseling, University of Houston, Houston, TX
- BA, Psychology, University of Houston, Houston, TX